Application methods of styling products can vary greatly depending on hair texture and density. This is especially true for curly hair types, which range from wavy to coily in texture, fine to coarse in type, and thin to thick in density.
Here are our main styling products for curls, from lightest to heaviest in emollience and oils:
- Salty Sugar Texture Spray: Oil-free, for wavy hair to increase texture between strands, like salt water at the beach
- Volumizing Mousse: Oil-free foam, adds medium hold and density, silicone-free
- Styling Gel: Oil-free pourable liquid gel, medium to high hold, silicone-free
- Defining Cream: Light weight in oils, flexible hold, doubles as a blowout cream, silicone-free, natural shine
- Flexible Hold Styling Cream: Medium weight in oils, flexible hold, contains a silicone for higher shine
- Medium Hold Cream Wax: Medium weight in oils, medium hold, heavier in emollience but still water-soluble, silicone-free
First, pick an appropriate product.
For hair that needs moisture and emollience as well as hold, pick one of these based on the desired weight of your product: Defining Cream, Flexible Hold Styling Cream or Medium Hold Cream Wax.
For fine hair that needs to be plumped up, try the Volumizing Mousse for curly or wavy or Salty Sugar Texture Spray for wavy.
To simply add some hold without adding any volume or weight, try our Styling Gel. You can also cocktail any of these products for styling, or add in some Leave-In Recovery Lotion to the mix for a big boost in hydration, conditioning and slip.
Note that Kavella products are more concentrated than products you'd buy at the drug store. Start with half the amount you think you need and adjust from there. Apply these products on wet hair for best results, not damp.
Now pick your curl pattern for a suggested application method:
For coily hair, try the "praying hands method." Simply coat your hands with the appropriate product(s), then press them together with your hair in between your hands. Slide your hands down the length of your hair, applying a thin coating of the product and keeping the cuticle nice and closed.
For curls and ringlets, use the "rake and shake method." Add product to fingers and rub together. Rake the product through from roots to ends, stopping just at the ends. Shake your hair back and forth, encouraging your curls to clump back together.
For wavy hair, scrunching is going to encourage your curls to form and add body. Rub product into hands and apply product evenly through hair. Use a small towel to then scrunch the hair at the ends up towards your roots. This will encourage your curls to form and help make sure that you don't end up with too much product which can weigh waves down.